Jersey Cape Bee Keepers Association

Welcome to the clubs blog. Members can use it to post new topics or comment on topics entered by other members. Use it to share information about your bees or to ask questions of the group. Using the blog will allow us all to benifit from other members experience and knowledge.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

In January, I put burlap barrier up on three sides of the hive. I left the front open. I also put on a mouse guard. I think the burlap really protected the hive during the snow storms that occured a few weeks ago. Although there were mountains of snow all around the hive, the area in the burlap and front were free of snow.

Before leaving on vacation the first two weeks in February, I made Fondant and placed it on the inner cover. On returning, it didn't look like the bees were using it. At the last meeting it was suggested that we add about a coffee can full of raw sugar on the inner cover which I did. Checked this afternoon, but it does not look as if they are using much of the supplies.
I did find however that my top cover apparently has a leak. There was water on the inner cover. I hope a lot did not run down into the hive. I had a spare cover and used it. I haven't seen too much evidence of activity, however the other day while passing the hive I saw a bee returning. From where I have no idea. So I guess there is hope that they are still holding on.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ed... Thanks for the info. I wrapped my two hives with tar paper and am hoping for the best... I can hear them inside but not sure how much the hive has decreased in size. Still too miserable and cold to open up the top to introduce sugar... Maybe on a nice day. Good Luck... video is here ---> http://public.fotki.com/GaryGS1/family-farm/beekeeping-1/honey-bee-photos-fr/img-3615.html / Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ed. did you try lifting a corner of the hive to feel the weight? hopefully it will be heavy. if so they may have enough to eat and not taking fondant, sugar.

    mike mcgurk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,
    I tried lifting the hive today and it seemed really heavy. I guess as I get more experience I will be able to tell by feel. Thanks for the input
    Ed

    ReplyDelete